According to the Immigration Bureau of Japan, a permanent residence permit in Japan is issued for a foreign citizen who lives in the country if certain conditions are complied with.
In this article, our company formation consultants in Japan explain how to obtain a permanent residence permit in this jurisdiction and what procedure has to be followed in order to obtain such a residence permit in Japan.
Table of Contents
Permanent resident permit guidelines in Japan
In order to obtain a permanent residence status in Japan, a foreign citizen has to meet the following legal requirements:
• To prove that he or she does not have any issues with the law as a resident of Japan;
• He or she is able to sustain himself or herself financially, that he or she has the skills or assets to do so. Our company formation experts in Japan can provide more information on what these skills should be comprised of;
• To show that his or her residence in Japan is helpful for the Japanese economy or society. As part of this requirement, the resident has to show that:
o He or she intends to stay in Japan for more than 10 years;
o He or she has not been imprisoned or punished by fine and that he or she has complied with his or her tax duties;
o He or she does not need to appeal to the public health system in Japan;
o Other requirements: Our company registration advisors in Japan can provide further information on this matter.
Application procedure for permanent residence in Japan
If you would like to obtain a permanent residence in Japan, the following procedure is required:
• Obtaining the resident card application form: it is effectuated from any Immigration Bureau in Japan;
• Filling in the residence card application and attaching your photo. Our Japan company formation professionals can advise you on how to correctly fill in this application;
• Providing a photo;
• Providing the following copied documents:
o One which confirms the applicant’s citizenship;
o One copy of the applicant’s birth certificate;
o Other documents: we can provide further details on what these other documents consist of;
• A valid passport;
• A document confirming the status, in case a legal representative or an agent files the application form on the applicant’s behalf.
If you need to know more about the permanent residency in Japan, or if you would like to open a company in Japan, we invite you to contact us for assistance.